JUNIOR PIT GEOLOGIST (SHIFT) – CU
The following opportunity exists for a dedicated, hardworking, and enthusiastic and results-driven individual to join Gamsberg Mine on a permanent basis.
Internal & external candidates are eligible to apply.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Reporting Directly to Senior Pit Geologist, the incumbent is responsible to assist the Production Geology function in providing support by performing geological functions, with regards to geological mapping, selective ore loading and other information gathering in order to understand the ore-body and optimise the most efficient extraction of the reserve, by controlling mine dilution and optimised stockpile management.
Position is pit (field) based and working is shift-based to align with operational mining team.
- BSc Geology or BSc (Hons) Geology.
- At least 3–5-years experience in a Mining environment, preferably open cast.
- Drivers License.
- Medically Fit
Key Performance Areas
- Delineation and optimization of ore contacts for and during selective loading.
- Mark loading perimeters correctly in the field for pit geologists and operators to load.
- Liaise with the survey, geotechnical, and production personnel to ensure the safety of working areas.
- Feedback on grade control modeling and ore perimeter design to ensure dilution can be minimized, by implementing observations made during loading operations.
- Performing accurate and efficient selective loading through discussions and interaction with personnel and ensure updated support is available to make informed decisions during loading.
- Conduct and supervise field loading activities and material movement record-keeping requirements.
- Liaise with a survey for mark-out of loading demarcations to prepare delineations timeously for loading operations.
- Data collection and verification with the end of shift reporting and hand-over to following shifts
- Managing pit loading face activities throughout the shift.
- Capture loading times for various material types during shift using provided platform to support collation and capturing of daily ore tally loads.
- Undertaking geological mapping activities to enhance understanding of geological control on ore and waste.
Short-listed applicants may be required to undergo relevant psychometric assessments and background checks.
Preference will be given to EE Candidates